Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Oblivion (PC)


Oblivion came out in 2006. Early trailers and promo material looked amazing and I knew I couldn't wait to get it. Unfortunately, when it was released, my PC was not up to running the game.

Before I get into the review, I have one little disclaimer, I have had this game for a couple years now and I have yet to beat it.

The Sweet
When you first get out of the sewer and see the whole game world expanded out in front you will fill you with awe. The world just feels alive. There is so much to do and so much to see that you can't help but ignore the storyline and explore as much as you can. However, this where The Huh comes in as well (more on that later).

The Okay
The armor in this game looks great and the weapons all feel different from each other. I only give it an Okay score because there just isn't enough of them in the game. I remember in Morrowind, I would find almost a new weapon in each dungeon. Here, though, after a couple hours, you have seen most weapons and armor sets in the game.

The Huh?
After running around in the world for a while, you start to get feelings of deja vu. And by that I mean that all the areas look the same. There are maybe 4 kinds of dungeon areas; cave, Oblivion, tomb, tower. Some areas fare better than others in the way they look, but they all have that "samey" feel to them.

The Awful
This isn't really a bad thing, but it is awful. There is just too much to do and see in this game. After about half way through the main quest, I got completely distracted with the hundreds of other quests and forgot about the main one. I need to go back and finish this game, but the side quests are so much more interesting than the main one. So I call this awful because it prevents me from ever actually finishing this game.

I would also like to say that I personally hated the Oblivion gates in this game. After the first one, they become a chore to go through and I dread when a quest ends there. The oblivion gates epitomize the "samey" feel I get from the rest of the game because they are all nearly identical, epsecially once you get in the tower. There are dozens of oblivion gates all acrodd Cyrodiil and they all get closed the exact same way. Talk about repetitive.

Worth a $20
Of course it is. You get so much to do and see that this will easily give you so much on your investment. As of this review I have about 35 hrs on this game (I know child's play), so this has been a great deal for $20. You really can't be disappointed with this game as a whole.

No comments:

Post a Comment